The following are some suggestions and possibilities for the nut growing entrepreneur:
- nuts can simply be cracked, sorted and roasted/salted/mixed.
- processed nuts can be flavoured garlic/barbecue/sour cream & chive, etc.
- a bakery section can produce nut breads, candies, pies, cakes and tarts.
- nut butters and spreads can be made.
- nut oils can be produced.
- chestnuts can be dried and shelled and sold for cooking purposes.
- dried chestnuts can be ground and sold as chestnut flour.
- crushed shell can be used in blasting equipment for a polishing and cleaning fine metal parts.
- heartnut shells can be packaged for the craft market.
- crushed nut seconds can be packaged as bird feed.
If it can be imagined, it can be done.
The following are some websites that have been successful at marketing their farm products.
“Kernel Peanut” is a company owned by Ernie Racz near Vittoria, ON. Check out his website: http://www.kernalpeanuts.com/
Picard’s Peanuts Stores are in four locations in Southern Ontario: https://www.picardspeanuts.com/
Check out “The Big Apple” in Colborne, ON near Highway 401. This has evolved into a marketing sensation: www.thebigapple.ca/