ARTICLE I: Name
This Association shall be known as The Society of Ontario Nut Growers - SONG.
Associate organizations may form under the umbrella of SONG with SONG permission and support and will be referred to as "Chapters".
ECSONG shall be known as Eastern Chapter of the Society of Ontario Nut Growers and shall receive all benefits of membership in SONG. All members shall be allowed access to both organizational meetings and be eligible for executive positions regardless of area of residence.
ARTICLE II: Objectives
The objectives of this association shall be:
1. To promote interest in nut-bearing plants, their products and their culture.
2. To promote scientific research in the breeding and culture of nut bearing plants suited to Ontario conditions.
3. To encourage planting of improved varieties in gardens and orchards, on farms and public lands.
4. To disseminate information on propagation techniques and cultural practices.
5. To provide opportunities for closer association among nut growers residing in Ontario.
ARTICLE III: Membership
Membership in this society shall be open to all persons who are interested in supporting its objectives regardless of place of residence.
Application for membership shall be presented to the Treasurer in writing accompanied by the required dues. Forms of membership include one of: individual; family or single household (with one vote); honorary; and life (at 10 times the annual rate).
ARTICLE IV: Officers and Board of Directors
1. The elected officers shall consist of a President, a Vice-President, a Secretary, a Treasurer or Secretary/Treasurer, and the Editor. These (4) or (5) officers together with the immediate Past-President not presently holding an elective office, plus two (2) additional members appointed at the discretion of the President, shall constitute the Board of Directors of SONG. Honorary directors may be added in recognition of exemplary service to SONG and nut growing. Officers of ECSONG are automatically members of the board of SONG and shall be invited to all executive meetings.
2. The elected officers of ECSONG shall consist of a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary/treasurer, and Editor. These four officers together with the immediate Past Chairperson not holding an elective office, plus one additional member appointed at the discretion of the Chairman shall constitute the Board of Directors of ECSONG. Honorary directors may be added in recognition of exemplary service to ECSONG and nut growing. SONG executive members are automatically members of the board of ECSONG and shall be invited to all executive meetings.
3. Other Chapter groups may be formed as need arises and a similar set of officers and directors may be set up with the agreement and support of SONG.
ARTICLE V: Amendments
These Organizational By-Laws may be amended by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the members voting at any regularly called meeting, notice and copy of such amendment having been first approved by the combined executives and then included as a motion in SONG News prior to a regular meeting.
Duties of Officers and Board of Directors
ARTICLE I: The President/Chapter Chairman The President/Chapter Chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the respective organizations and shall be Chair of the Board of Directors. He shall be responsible for all business transactions of the organization, which must conform to the Organizational By-Laws. He shall appoint standing committees and other special committees that the organization may authorize, except the Nominating Committee. It shall be the responsibility of the President to arrange for the place, time, and program of all regular meetings. Such meetings are to be held in various locales in consideration of the residence of the current membership.
ARTICLE II: The Vice-President/Chapter Vice Chairman The Vice-President/Chapter Vice-Chairman shall serve as President/Chapter Chairman-Elect, and in the absence of the President/Chapter Chairman shall perform the duties of that office.
ARTICLE III: The Secretary and/or Chapter Secretary/Treasurer
The Secretary and/or Chapter Secretary/Treasurer shall keep permanent records of all meetings of the organization and the Board of Directors. He shall handle all correspondence and special events. He shall present the Secretary's Report at Annual Meetings, others as required.
In addition, the Secretary/Treasurer shall be responsible for any money collected by the Chapter for meetings or special activities. An accounting of these expenditures will be reported to the SONG Treasurer annually and will be made available to the SONG Financial Statement Compiler.
(Expenditures going beyond the value of Chapter annual fees must be approved by both SONG and Chapter Executives before it is voted by the SONG and Chapter membership.)
ARTICLE IV: The Treasurer
The Treasurer shall collect dues, pay authorized bills, maintain a record of membership and publish membership lists in SONG News at least every two years.
He shall notify members when their dues are about to expire and, if necessary, that their dues have expired. He shall present the Treasurer's Report at all Annual Meetings.
The Treasurer shall provide a list of paid memberships to the Chapter(s) prior to any meeting where proof of paid membership is required.
ARTICLE V: The Editor /Chapter Editor
The Editor shall publish and distribute the "SONG News" at least twice each year.
The Chapter Editor shall forward the following material to the SONG Editor for publication in SONG News at least 30 days prior to publication:
1. Future Chapter meeting information
2. Reports on meetings held
3. Additional newsworthy articles
ARTICLE VI: The Board of Directors
The Board of Directors shall manage the affairs of the organization between meetings. A quorum of the Board of Directors shall consist of four (4) members including at least two (2) current officers. Any member of the Board of Directors may call a meeting of the Board by notifying all members at least one week prior to the meeting.
The officers shall be elected at the Annual Meeting and shall hold office for two years, beginning immediately following the close of the Annual Meeting.
In addition to presentation of a slate of officers by the Nominating Committee, nominations may be made from the floor at the annual meeting.
All members whose dues are paid are eligible to vote.
The annual dues shall be changed as needed by first being approved by the executive and then voted on at a regularly scheduled meeting. Payment made for additional years in advance will be maintained at the rate they were accepted by the Treasurer.
The fiscal year shall be the same as the calendar year. Annual membership shall begin January 1st and end December 31st.
New members paying dues after October 1st would not be required to make any additional payment at the succeeding annual dues date of January 1st.
Members whose dues have not been paid within one year after the dues date of January 1st will be dropped from the roll.
There shall be a minimum of one (1) meeting a year with such other special meetings as may be decided by the membership or the Board of Directors. The annual meeting shall be held in March. Chapter groups will choose alternate dates so they do not conflict with the SONG Annual Meeting.
A quorum at a regularly called meeting shall consist of seven (7) eligible voting members and must include at least two (2) members of the Board of Directors.
Absent members may vote by proxy for any changes in the Organizational By-Laws. Proxy vote must be received by the Secretary or Secretary/Treasurer at least three (3) days prior to the meeting.
The order of business at all regularly scheduled meetings shall be as follows:
1. Report by Secretary.
2. Report by Treasurer.
3. Receipt of Communications.
4. Reports of Standing Committees.
5. Reports of Special Committees.
6. Old Business.
7. New Business.
9. Program, Speeches, etc.
The order of business as stated above may be set aside by a 2/3 vote of the members present at any regular meeting.
6. Old Business. As soon as possible after the annual meeting, the President/Chapter Chairperson shall appoint the following committees as required:
1. Membership and Publicity Committee
2. Research Committees
3. Special Committees
The organization shall publish a bulletin called "SONG News" containing news items, reports of meetings and other information pertaining to nut tree culture. The bulletin shall be published at least bi-annually.
The most recent copy of SONG News, a copy of the Organizational Bylaws, and a recent membership list shall be sent to all new members.
The bulletins shall be distributed to all members and a complimentary copy sent to the Secretary of the Northern Nut Growers Association.
Other organizations interested in nut tree culture can, upon request receive a free copy of the bulletin.
Preparation of the news bulletin and other literature authorized by the Board of Directors shall be the responsibility of the Editor unless delegated otherwise by the Association or its Board of Directors.
The Nominating Committee shall consist of the immediate Past President/Chapter Past Chairperson, who shall serve as Chair, and one member elected by the attending membership at the annual meeting.
It shall be the duty of the Nominating committee to hold a meeting prior to the next Annual Meeting and to present a slate of nominees for the elective offices at the Annual Meeting.
Financial Statement Compiler
One (1) 'Financial Statement Compiler’ shall be elected at the annual meeting for the forthcoming year. It shall be the duty of the Compiler to prepare a financial statement for the Treasurer's books and present the report at the Annual Meeting or in SONG News.